Cyprus Digital Assets Summit
Crypto-assets and the vast universe of associated products and services have grown rapidly in recent years and are becoming increasingly interlinked with the regulated financial system. Policymakers and Regulators appear to be struggling to keep track of risks posed by a sector where most activities are unregulated, or at best lightly regulated.
The recent collapse of one of the largest Crypto Exchange in the world (FTX) has created shock waves across the crypto world industry similar to that of the collapse of Lehman Brothers back in 2008 leaving behind massive financial losses to investors.
Regulators are once again facing challenges from the side of investor protection as they have failed to provide regulatory clarity up to now on the crypto industry.
The 2023 Cyprus Digital Assets Summit aims to become the premier crypto event of the region, where investors and executives of the leading Web3 companies share their view on the market and take stock of the ecosystem and its vast opportunities. We aim to bring together the global crypto industry, uniting entrepreneurs, investors, developers, industry insiders.
Date: Wednesday, 31 May 2023 | 8:30
Venue: Parklane Resort & Spa, Limassol
Session 1: Policy Making and Regulation
• Digital Markets: Is the European Union leading digital regulation?
The European Commission through the Digital Finance Package enables and supports the potential of digital finance in terms of innovation and competition, while mitigating associated potential risks. The package includes a proposal on Markets in Crypto Assets Regulation (MiCA), a proposal for Digital Operational Resilience Act (DORA), and a proposal to clarify or amend certain related EU financial services rules. In March 2023 the DLT Pilot Regime (Distributed Ledger Technology) will enter into force.
• Digital Euro: Is Eurozone ready to take the next step?
The ECB in an effort to ensure that consumers continue to have unfettered access to central bank money in a way that meets their needs in the digital age, the ECB’s Governing Council decided to advance work on the possible issuance of a digital euro. How close are we to the realisation of having digital euros in our wallets alongside cash?
Session 2: The State of the Market
Issues / Ideas / Themes to be discussed.
• Decentralized Finance Vs Centralized Finance
• Current state of digital assets industry and its trends
• Digital Assets: The future of investable asset types such as cryptocurrencies, NFTs, asset-backed tokens, and tokenized real estate.
• Lessons learned from the collapse of FTX and the future of the crypto industry (panel discussion from market participants)
• The Future of Decentralized Finance and Crypto
• The future of digital payments
• The role of Crypto assets in Finance
Session 3: Predicting the Market – The Investment Point of View / Digital Assets Trading Strategies
Issues / Ideas / Themes to be discussed:
• Crypto as part of the investor’s portfolio
• How do digital assets fit in an institutional portfolio?
• Why should institutional investors add digital assets to their portfolios?
• What are the key concerns of the adoption of digital assets and why haven’t they been allocated yet?
• What new services are traditional players developing to provide institutional-grade solutions and enable buy side to access this burgeoning market?
• Exploring tokenization opportunities: How can you leverage blockchain technology to gain access to liquidity in traditionally illiquid assets, drive faster settlement and lower costs?
• What is the best practice approach to digital asset categorization to help underpin a clear understanding and methodology for identifying different types of asset risks?
• What is the approach from large institutional investors when exploring the digital assets market and how are they balancing opportunity and risk?
• What investment and trading approaches are fund managers deploying and how are they assessing the risk and return of crypto and digital products to deliver on client demands?
• How can you leverage digital assets in your investment strategy as a diversifier?
• What are the benefits of allocating digital assets into your portfolio to generate greater returns?
Session 4: Technology / The Future
• Global Technology megatrends and their impact on business
• Web 3.0
Session 5: Compliance / AML / Fraud / Risk / Corporate Governance / Cyber Security
• How can the industry promote proper corporate governance and risk management policies and frameworks for Virtual Assets Service Providers/CEXs?
Session 6: Custody Services
• The role of custodians in providing asset security and ease of transacting
• Implementing robust and secure digital asset custody services.
Session 7: Perspective from the Banking System and EMIs Relationship between traditional banks and Crypto Companies
• What will the future of crypto be in a regulated banking system?
• How can banks get involved in the crypto industry?
Every year in Cyprus and overseas, IMH organises over 200 conferenc¬es, seminars, workshops, and corporate exhibitions as well as business awards. It also organises events on the behalf of clients. The Media Department is also on an excellent course. Monthly maga¬zines IN Business and GOLD are ready by tens of thousands of ex-ecutives, managers, and businesspeople- both Cypriot and foreign. Our team of journalists keeps you updated every day through the IN Business Portal and REPORTER. IMH recently also took on SUPER FM, Cyprus’ top music radio station. IMH is launching the English language Cyprus Business News Portal (CBN), in 2023, which aims at becoming the daily source of information for English-speaking professionals and business people in Cyprus and abroad. IMH, in addition, submits tenders published by the public sector, Euro¬pean Union, and other international organisation projects. Through its activities, IMH gives companies the opportunity to develop, engage in networking, find new clients and associates, address new audiences, and discover opportunities for development.
The summit is addressed to:
• Policy Makers and Regulators
• Financial Services Executives
• Investment Firms
• Crypto Assets Service Providers
• Asset Managers
• Investors – Entrepreneurs
• Legal, Accounting, and other Advisory Firms
The Association of Cyprus Electronic Money and Payment Institutions (ACEMPI) was founded in 2021. Its stated mission is to promote and develop the electronic money sector in Cyprus, while protecting and representing its members’ rights and professional interests. Other key objectives of the Association include liaising with members and growing its network, conducting electronic money-related research and studies, gathering and evaluating information, and cooperating with the regulatory authorities – specifically with the Central Bank of Cyprus for initial discussions on issues relating to the electronic money sector.
Being one of the 190+ chapters of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), the Cyprus Chapter of the ACFE is an anti-fraud organization that serves professionals, students and communities in Cyprus. The objec¬tive of the Cyprus Chapter of the ACFE is to promote improved fraud detection and deterrence. This is achieved through enhancement of knowledge, promotion of networking opportunities and support for its members and the business, academic and government community.
The Cyprus Fiduciary Association (CYFA), established in 2011, is the representative body of regulated Administrative Service Providers (ASP’s) in Cyprus. With a vision to assist in forming a solid international business sector in Cyprus operating on high professional standards, ethics and integrity, the Association aims to serve industry providers by promoting their interests, raising sector awareness, supporting their operations, contributing to new legislations and delivering valuable training to professionals. The Association’s commitment to its purpose has established it among the most reputable and recognised organisations within the country, before public and regulatory authorities, other associations, as well as the business community in Cyprus and overseas.
Cyprus Blockchain technologies is a private, not-for-profit, autonomous technology think-tank that was founded to unite Cyprus' community of blockchain stakeholders from all industries and sectors. The vision for Cyprus Blockchain Technologies is to increase awareness and drive societal change for the betterment of humanity through innovative emerging technologies with a special focus on Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLT) and Blockchain and establish Cyprus on the global map as a premier technology hub. The center's mission is to support and accelerate the real-life application of Blockchain in use cases that will help both the private and public sectors of Cyprus, its government, and citizens reap the benefits of, transform and thrive using these growing emerging technologies. Our members include big players from various industries in Cyprus including banking (Hellenic Bank, Bank of Cyprus, JCC Payment Systems), consulting firms (Grant Thornton, Deloitte, KPMG, EY Cyprus, Electi, PwC), Law Firms (Kinanis, Christiana Aristidou, PCV and Co) and others (KMG Capital markets, Salvus Funds, MAP Platis).
GOLD was first published in 2011 as the first monthly English-language magazine in Cyprus. Today, it not only consistently promotes good business practices but has a unique and valuable readership, comprising High Net Worth Individ¬uals, executives of international companies, and English-speaking Cypriot and non-Cypriot busi¬nessmen and women. www.goldnews.com.cy
As the flagship publication within IMH’s media brands, IN Business magazine, has a 16-year history, during which thousands of examples of good business practices by businesses and businesspeople, brands, commercial practices and developments have been showcased. The aim of IN Business was – and continues to be – the promotion of good Cypriot business. www.inbusinessnews.com
Το CBN (Cyprus Business News), είναι η νέα αγγλόγλωσση επιχειρηματική και επενδυτική πύλη, η οποία στοχεύει να γίνει η κορυφαία καθημερινή πηγή επιχειρηματικών και οικονομικών ειδήσεων και πληροφοριών στα Αγγλικά για επαγγελματίες στην Κύπρο και όχι μόνο. Η ομάδα των έμπειρων δημοσιογράφων του θα παρέχει τεκμηριωμένο, αντικειμενικό, αξιόπιστο και ενημερωμένο διαδικτυακό περιεχόμενο για την ιστοσελίδα, τη σχετική εφαρμογή και το καθημερινό ενημερωτικό δελτίο. Για κάθε αγγλόφωνο επαγγελματία με έδρα την Κύπρο, που ασχολείται με οποιοδήποτε από το ευρύ φάσμα επιχειρηματικών τομέων του νησιού, από τη Ναυτιλία, τις Χρηματοοικονομικές Υπηρεσίες και το Εμπόριο έως τις ΙCT, το Gaming, τα Μέσα Ενημέρωσης, τις Ασφάλειες και πολλά άλλα, το CBN θα είναι η απόλυτη πηγή επιχειρηματικών ειδήσεων.
Charalambos is responsible for the speakers and content of this event. If you have any content-related or other queries, you can contact her on +357 22505606 or via email at email@example.com
Dafni is responsible for the marketing and promotion of this conference. If you have any marketing-related questions or suggestions, you can contact her at Dafni.Stavrinidou@imhbusiness.com and at +357 22505575.